Best Portable Sewing Machines In 2021
A portable sewing machine helps you have a handy trick for doing tailoring projects without the need to have a single and bulky station. They can handle both simple and complex stitching requirements without too much manual work. Unlike the traditional sewing machines, a lot of these portable sewing machines just need an adapter plugged in and some button presses can start the tailoring process. Today we bring you the top 10 best portable sewing machines that we found on Amazon.
10. Jeportable Sewing Machineteven
The Jeteven portable sewing machine is a small and lightweight sewing machine with a two-speed control. This desktop sewing machine can be thread and unthread in seconds and can be controlled with a foot pedal. The foot controls make this machine convenient for use especially because it helps people to concentrate on the fabric and the hand action instead of the start-stop action that older machines needed.
You can switch on the inbuilt LED light to properly monitor the stitching if you are in a poorly lit working location. With this mini sewing machine, a lot of your work is reduced as the machine can also automatically continue stitching a pattern by a simple adaptor control.
- The portable sewing machine can connect to a foot pedal.
- The presser-foot can be operated with a single switch turn.
- This machine operates a double-thread stitch.
- The instruction manual needs more information.
9. Beletops Mini Sewing Machine
The Beletops mini sewing machine is equipped with only two buttons that allows you switch it on or off and also alternate between high speed and low speed. Its U-shape design is impressive and still has other handy accessories such as a bobbins, cuff slots, and thread cutters. The thread cutters ensure that you can carry out the tasks from start to finish without having to let go of the fabrics.
The portable sewing machine has a DC adaptor and can plug in a foot pedal into one of its ports. At just 3 pounds in weight, the machine is small and portable enough for travel and easy to store when not in use.
- The portable sewing machine does not need any maintenance.
- The sewing machine is very quiet and easy to thread.
- It is easy to remove all the bobbins and control the tension.
- The foot pedal has a short cable.
8. WeLuvFit Portable Sewing Machine
The WeLuvFit portable sewing machine is a two-speed and two-thread machine for quick tailoring needs. It has adequate spacing between the U-shaped casing to ensure that your hands and the fabric can all fit in comfortably. This sewing machine has a bobbin winder to ensure that the thread has the right tension before the stitching commences.
It is designed to stitch fabric that is 8mm thick or less. Interestingly, this model of the WeLuvFit portable sewing machine can operate on AA batteries or an AC/DC adaptor. This allows people to stitch outdoors or while on the move. It also has a thread rewinding feature due to the top-drop-in operation of the bobbin.
- The two-thread stitching is good for stitching cuffs and hems.
- It includes 4 bobbins and a threader.
- It has a firm presser foot.
- You can simply turn a knob to adjust the thread tension.
- It is smaller than the advertisement pictures.
7. NEX Portable Sewing Machine
The NEX portable sewing machine will let with many choices of the type of stitches that can be done. It has a knob-switch that alters the switches between zigzag patterns, double threads and cross stitches. Threading the machine is a walk in the park and users can still use a switch to alter the tension using clearly marked digits for each tension level.
Other switches include the on/off switch, needle distance controllers and a reverse stitch gear. Once all the stitching has been done, needles and bobbins can be placed in its inbuilt drawer. The device also come with a ruler printed on the side of the machine so you can use it for a quick measurement estimates.
- The machine can make 12 different stitch patterns.
- The portable sewing machine comes with a foot pedal.
- The foot pedal can also control the speed of the stitching.
- It has a ruler printed on the side for quick measurement estimates.
6. Suteck Portable Sewing Machine
The Suteck portable sewing machine offers you a light and portable machine that can attach to an extending table. It has a small and simple winding pole that smoothly winds with a simple hand action. It operates a double-thread through its bobbins and has a very stable frame that ensures it does not topple over while in use.
The motor runs in a really quite way as you could choose to use the start switch or operate it by the foot pedal. The foot pedal can also adjust the speed as a softer foot press will let the machine run at the lower speed. This portable sewing machine has an ergonomic shape and some anti-skid legs to ensure it does not move around during operation.
- The whole kit contains 10 thread spools.
- It is easy to switch between high speed and low speed.
- It is good for beginners and children.
- The connection ports are conveniently positioned at the back.
- The needles unthread in some instances.
5. Singer MX60 Portable Sewing Machine
The Singer MX60 portable sewing machine can give up to 57 different stitch applications. The portable sewing machine can even do button hole stitches without any reconfiguration. At approximately 13 inches in length and 11 inches in height, the heavy duty frame still remains portable and travel with.
Once it has been threaded, you can adjust the tension and begin stitching by turning the “on” switch. For first-timers and beginners, all the threading instructions are marked on the machine to make it easy to link the top bobbin and upper thread pathway.
- The machine has the right clearance to fit in the hands.
- It is light enough to travel with it (12 pounds).
- It has a tension dial that can let you pinpoint the needed tension.
- It is hard to tell how much thread is left in the bobbin.
4. Brother CS1000i Sewing Machine
The Brother CS1000i sewing machine does both the sewing and quilting tasks. The electric and portable sewing machine comes with an extended table and has an LCD screen that can indicate exact stitch selections. There are 70 different stitch selections to choose from and all these just need quick button presses.
For a single machine, beginners can now stitch buttonholes, create heirloom stitches and make utility stitches. The smart portable sewing machine automatically threads itself and therefore omits all the confusion that comes with tweaking and inserting bobbins for the inexperienced users.
- The machine has an LCD display with a backlight.
- It has a jam-resistant bobbin.
- Users can switch between 70 different types of stitches.
- There can be different buttonhole size selections.
- Some error messages are difficult to diagnose.
3. Funline portable Sewing Machine
The Funline portable sewing machine offers plenty of functionality and features in a simple and lightweight frame. It can support 12 different stitching patterns and all that someone needs to do is to turn the alphabetic dial to the exact stitch pattern they want. This portable sewing machine has buttons and switches to set it to reverse mode and has a bright LED light in case someone needs to work in a room that has many shadows.
Moreover, the device comes with the plug in of the AC/DC adaptor to a power outlet and set the exact type of stitch required. Its functional design ensures that users do not need to attach a separate extension table to operate it.
- The portable sewing machine has a LED light for better vision.
- The frame contains a thread cutter.
- This model has a buttonhole presser foot.
- The machine has an inbuilt drawer to store small items.
2. Brother XM2701 Portable Sewing Machine
The Brother XM2701 portable sewing machine supports 27 different stitch patterns. It can make neat dotted stitches, buttonhole stitches in automatic sizes and still ensure that the whole session is free from any jamming. The whole threading mechanism also keeps the bobbin automatically fed and that is why the thread rarely jams during operation.
The LED light will brightly light the fabric and the working area and that ensures that it can greatly reduce accidental stitches or any personal injury. The shipped package contains 6 sewing feet, a set of 3 needles, 4 extra bobbins and an instructional DVD.
- The portable sewing machine supports automatic threading.
- It contains a LED light to brighten your work surfaces.
- The stitches are selected by a dial turn.
- It can make up to 800 stitches per minute.
- The take up lever is too deeply set.
1. Juki Portable Sewing Machine
The Juki portable sewing machine can make stitches and also quilt fabric. Users can count on it for comfortable hand operation as it has a wide enough cavity to fit in two hands at a go. This also provides a wider working surface compared to conventional portable sewing machines. The threads are fed in from a top-down orientation through the upper bobbin.
In addition, this machine is built-in with many selection of the stitches by simply turning knobs and pressing different buttons for the spacing of the stitches. It can trim threads from the top bobbin using the automatic thread button. For its potential, the machine keeps an attractive classic look yet it allows users to enjoy most of the spoils of a modern sewing machine.
- The machine is single-needled and can perform both sewing and quilting.
- Juki portable sewing machine has a foot-controlled trimmer.
- The speeds can be controlled using the speed control lever.
- The machine needs regular oiling.
Buying Guide – Best Portable Sewing Machines
Here are some of the points you should look out for when shopping any best portable sewing machines to meet the need of yours.
Good portable sewing machines should not be difficult to thread. Some portable sewing machines have automatic threading to reduce the headache. Even if you select a machine that needs manual threading, ensure that they have a straight-forward way of placing the bobbins and feeding the needles.
The machines need to provide adequate working surfaces to fit in the fabric. A good number of these machines allow a separate extension table to be clipped onto their frames.
Stitch pattern options
Consider having portable sewing machines that can make more than one stitch pattern. These can be easily selected by button inputs or by turning a dial to match the desired stitches. These can range from zigzag patterns to straight and spaced ones. Some of the machines available today can let users choose from scores of patterns and still know the exact setting the machine was left on before they make the real stitches.
Settle for machines that support more than one speed setting. The most common ones support only a high speed setting or a low speed setting. However, there are some models that have a dial that speeds or slows the stitching right to the tempo which someone prefers.
With the right portable sewing machine, beginners can make professional-looking stitches for all their tailoring craft and fabric repair. The right machines will ensure that people can work with minimal physical input such as peddling just to get the machine running. With electric operation, many people have found the tailoring experience more comfortable and that way, they can do more work without getting tired.