Best Portable Air Compressors In 2021
A good air compressor helps people to operate air tools by simply connecting them to the tools and a source of power. It can operate nail guns, inflate balloons and vehicle tires. The portable air compressors are very handy to have in the garage because they will save you that trip to the nearest pumping station just to carry out small tasks like filling up children’s sporting equipment. They are mostly operated by electric or induction motors that deliver pressurized air without having to consume a lot of power. The good thing is that an air compressor can work efficiently without leaving behind oily patches and other messy stains.
10. PorterCable air compressor
The portercable air compressor can deliver 150 psi of compressed air. This compressor has rubber feet for stability during any operation and can therefore minimize the rattling in case the workshop has other items on the shelf. The most unique feature on this product is the pancake-style tank which also keeps it stable and portable for a 6 gallon tank. The tank can also be drained easily if it needs to be stored for a long period.
Moreover, it does not have a long recovery cycle and it only needs a quick plugging into a 120V socket. On the connection aspect, this duo-coupled air compressor lets it operate two different machines at the same time. You can count on it to operate for long periods because of its large tank and primed motor.
- The PorterCable air compressor has a 6 gallon tank for prolonged use.
- It is easy to drain the compressor in case there is water build-up
- The motor can easily start during frosty weather.
- All the electric components are well-covered to avoid short circuits.
- The tank heats up and shouldn’t be touched after operation.
- It needs a separate inflator.
9. Bostitch air compressor
The Bostitch air compressor is the right choice if you need an air compressor that will work with minimal noise. It is rated 80dBA and that ensures that you can operate them without creating any noise nuisance to nearby people. The whole machine only weighs 31 pounds and that makes it easy to move around the work space. It has a pancake-style tank which still holds plenty of air at once.
Furthermore, the whole design contains a high-flow regulator to ensure that the air jets flow at a constant and calculable level throughout its operation. This new design does not require regular maintenance and that makes them convenient to have in the home workshop. The 6 gallon tank can deliver air pressure at 150 psi. It can therefore be used to fill up large tires and operate nail guns.
- The outlets can automatically seal when not in use.
- It can eject the built up pressure when it is not plugged in.
- The air compressor has a regulator that lets you set the required amount of pressure.
- It is ideal for a constant pressure setting.
- It does not have a wing on the bottom bleed valve.
8. Craftsman air compressor
The craftsman air compressor is a maintenance-free air compressor that does not need any oil. It operates at 2.6 SCFM when pumping 90 psi, which means that it is very power efficient, silent and delivers constant pressure on each application. The Craftsman air compressor is very portable and comes with a long cable to ensure that it can operate in the home compound even if the nearest power outlet is at a distance.
In addition, its motor does not have too many components and that also keeps it operable during extremely cold weather. On purchase, the whole package contains plenty of plugs, nozzles and guns to ensure that you can inflate many items without them having to comply to a standard inlet. The hose also contains a protective coupler and its own plug assembly.
- The package contains a 13-piece assembly kit.
- It starts easily during cold weather.
- It has a reasonable cut-in pressure when operating at 150 psi max.
- The pump is designed for durability and has an oil-free operation routine.
- It needs extra tightening of the bottom release valve.
7. CAT Portable Air Compressors
Developed by California Air Tools, the CAT air compressor is a single tank, very light and silent air compressor. It has a 1 gallon steel tank and has the motor operating from a casing secured behind it. It has a steel frame that is well-mounted on 4 rubber stands that also help the machine remain stable and silent. The motor has a single piston design but still delivers an amazing 120 psi while operating at 1680 RPM.
Beside, the air compressor is considerably lighter than most other compressors that can give out 120 psi. The piston action does not require oiling and that makes it the right choice for using in all-weather situations. It is the right choice for inflating tires, airbeds and other smaller sporting equipment. The machine only weighs 20 pounds and can be operated indoors without interrupting other listening activities.
- The air compressor has a single piston and oil free motor.
- The air compressor does not only inflate items but it can also clean them.
- It is silent enough to use in tight spaces.
- It needs adapter connections to change to 1/8 threads.
6. CAT 4710SQ Portable Air Compressors
The CAT 4710SQ air compressor has a good reputation for durability and reliable operation. The machine does not need regular maintenance and that makes it one of the items that you can keep in your garage and only touch it when you need to operate it. It has a single tank that can hold enough air to ensure that you have adequate and constant air supply for your routine. The single tank and 4 stands make it possible to use outdoors and on very uneven surfaces. The reliable pump is situated on its topside and has the nozzles strategically placed on the sides to make it easy to plug in the hoses. This also ensures that the hose does not keep on dethatching during operation.
- The air compressor has a low center of gravity.
- It only needs a corded power supply.
- The machine is oil-free and therefore maintenance free.
- It has a 1000 hours estimated lifecycle.
5. Senco PC1010N air compressor
The Senco PC1010N air compressor is a very portable yet potent air compressor. It works with a single tank that holds 1 gallon of air. You can easily monitor its status using the two gauges which indicate the tank pressure and the tool pressure. This keeps it safe to use because it can notify the user when there is need to fill up a tire without knowing the existing amount of pressure. Furthermore, the motor has a circuit breaker which will trip whenever there is a power surge, ensuring that the compressor and the user are always protected from electrocution.
On top of that, when the compressed air has finally reached a predetermined level, the machine will automatically release the stored pressure to prevent over pressurization. It is extremely possible and only requires 100 seconds to fully pump up.
- It includes a 6 foot long power cord.
- The motor has a protective circuit breaker.
- It has a drain valve that only needs to be turned counter-clockwise to self-drain.
- The tank needs to be below 10 psi to be drained.
4. Campbell Hausfeld Portable Air Compressors
The Campbell Hausfeld air compressor has a horizontal single tank with a 3 gallon capacity. This air compressor was designed with safety, portability and durability as top priorities. It has 2 pressure gauges that will indicate the internal tank pressure and the amount of pressure connected to your tools. The tank can be attached to 10 separate accessories which ensure that you have all the needles, inflation nozzles and pins to fit into different types of items. That way, it is easy to inflate tires, sporting equipment and still have a powerful air compressor to use for your nail guns. The top motor casing also has a carry handle which ensures that you can easily carry it around with one hand.
- It can deliver 0.5 CFM when running at 40 psi.
- This one contains a 3 gallon tank for prolonged air containment.
- Able to handle multiple projects at the same time.
- It needs an adaptor for presta valves.
3. Dewalt 165psi Portable Air Compressors
The Dewalt 165 PSI compressor has a compact design with a powerful motor. The air compressor weighs 14.6 Kilograms. The gadget has a reliable high-flow regulator that ensures that you can use air tools without having to repeat certain procedures due to pressure changes. It is easy to connect the hose and tools once and start using them for any DIY projects.
Plus, the motor itself does not use any oil and this ensures that it can start and keep running well at very low temperatures. If you need to use a machine in an environment that cannot permit noise, this machine is just the right one for you as it operates at 75.5 dBA noise level.
- The high-flow regulator increases its performance.
- The outlet tube can be rerouted for different situations.
- The tank has a convenient cord storage wrap.
- It is hard to take off the motor cover.
2. Dewalt Flexvault Portable Air Compressors
The Dewalt Flexvault air compressor is a 60W portable air compressor. It has a 2.5 gallon tank that delivers up to 135 PSI of air pressure to conveniently fill up tires or connect to your air tools. The standout feature of this air compressor is that it is cordless, therefore allowing users to charge it and move it around without directly needing a power source to operate it. The 60V battery can also allow users to operate it for a long time without the need to charge it again.
Moreover, it is ideal for a lot of trim and finishing activities because the air compressor will maintain a steady flow of air on every nozzle press. Being cordless also gives it a great advantage over other air compressors especially if you need to use it in farm environments.
- The Dewalt Flexvault has a 60V battery for cordless operation.
- The tank has a maximum capacity of 135 PSI.
- It connects to most pneumatic workshop tools.
- The battery does not leak power over time.
1. Makita 2.5HP Portable Air Compressors
The Makita 2.5 HP air compressor has two cylinders that have a total capacity of 4.2 gallons. These both allow a combined air pressure of 130 PSI. For added safety, the motors have a built in safety thermal overload that will switch off the air compressor to protect the motor. They also operate with oil lubrication which allow the machine to operate in subzero temperatures.
Along with that, a sleek metal frame makes it possible to carry the machine around and also protects the whole frame due to its roll-cage design. The motor is removable but is always well cased for easy cleaning and light maintenance procedures.
- The air compressor has a roll-cage design.
- The cast iron cylinder reduces the wear through the years.
- It is lubricated with pump oil for temperature control.
- It needs regular pump oil checks.
Buying guide – Best Portable Air Compressors
Before buying air compressors, you should always consider the important factors like the tank capacity, noise levels and weight.
The tank capacity is very important as you would not want a machine that keeps on running low on air pressure while the work is getting started. A good air compressor will have a tank capacity of 100PSI and above.
The estimated decibel levels can determine whether the machine will be too loud. Loud machines can disrupt work or leisure if they are used in office or home environments.
Always settle for air compressors that do not need plenty of maintenance and those that can hold enough air pressure to keep the work going. These amazing 10 air compressors are easy to use, affordable and will serve for a good number of years.